Choosing a life partner is not that easy and one has to be very careful. That one decision comes with a lot of details. You’re choosing someone who would be your parenting partner and have a positive influence on your children, eating buddy, gist partner and travel companion.
So, if you make a mistake and don’t choose wisely, you’ll end up enduring marriage rather than enjoying it.
Some view marriage as a means to an end and rush into it for the wrong reasons such as loneliness, peer pressure, financial difficulties and other reasons.
At the end of the day, they live with regrets, wishing they didn’t make the mistake of getting married to wrong person.
Here are six common mistakes Nigerian women make when choosing a husband.
1. Choosing a man because of his outward appearance: Almost every lady wants to marry a Mr. TDH (tall dark and handsome) and they despise anyone who doesn’t fall into this category. They forget that looks fade. The grass withers and the flowers fade and so does physical beauty. A man might be good looking but a devil at heart. Would you be able to live with this man when all the physical things that attracted you to him begin to fade?
2. Marrying for money: Determined to have the “better life,” she marries the first rich man that approaches her. Money is good, no doubt and everyone wants the good life. But, choosing a life partner only because he has money can cause more problems for you than you even expect. You might have all the money in the world and still be frustrated. What happens when the unexpected happens and he stops having money?
4. Marrying out of desperation: This happens all the time. Women in their 30s, 40s begin to feel like they are running out of options and so they would settle for whatever man comes their way. Such a rash judgment can prove disastrous. Why will you marry the wrong person out of desperation?
5. Marrying to please family, friends and society: Don’t choose a life partner because you want to please anybody. When the trouble starts, they won’t be there with you. You will be left on your own. All your friends are married and so? You came into this world alone and you would leave alone so why do you keep comparing yourself to others?
6. Marry because of S3@.Xx:’: You chose a man because he is good in bed and can satisfy all your S3@.Xx:’ual needs and then one day, something happens and he can’t meet those ‘needs’, what do you do? Do you call it quits or you begin to cheat on him?