Watermelon is one of the fruits currently in season. Juicy and delicious, this fruit is enjoyed by many across the world. Watermelons are also packed with nutritional goodness and are beneficial to your health. Here are a few ways how:
1. Watermelons are packed with some of the most important antioxidants found in nature. These antioxidants travel throughout the body neutralizing free radicals. Free radicals are substances in the body that can cause much damage to us.
2. It is an excellent source of vitamin C and a very good source of vitamin A, particularly through its concentration of beta-carotene.
3. The beautiful red watermelon is also a source of the potent carotene antioxidant which is called lycopene. The lycopene which gives fruits the attractive red color that we find in watermelon can help reduce the risks of prostate cancer.
4. Watermelon helps to hydrate our bodies due to its high water content which is approximately ninety percent of the fruit. Due to this and its low caloric value, it is ranked as more valuable than many other fruits.
5. Watermelon is a fruit that is rich in electrolytes sodium and potassium that we lose through our perspiration. Watermelon replenishes these nutrients in our bodies after we lose them.
6. Watermelon is rich in the B vitamins necessary for energy production. Food experts recommend watermelon as a very good source of vitamin B6 and a good source of vitamin B1 and magnesium.
7. Watermelon has a special cooling effect and is exceptionally high in citrulline, an amino acid that our bodies use to make another amino acid, arginine, which is used in the urea cycle to remove ammonia from the body.
8. The antioxidants in watermelon help in reducing the severity of asthma. It also reduces the risk of colon cancer, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and prostate cancer.
9. Watermelon is a good source of thiamin, potassium and magnesium which are essential for proper body function.
10. Watermelon helps the body in energy production due to the quality of the natural sugars it contains. This is healthier than the artificial sugar found in carbonated drinks.
Now you have more reasons to enjoy a delicious slice of watermelon today!