How To Live Longer – Sources report that the average life expectancy of the average Nigerian is 52 years. As a result of numerous life threatening factors, people do not often live as long as they wish to. Granted, death is inevitable and can come at any time but here are a few things you can put into practice that can help you live longer:
1. Eat healthy meals. Always endeavor to eat an all-round meal. Consume more fruits and vegetables, less starches, opt for whole grain and whole wheat instead of white or processed foods and breads, and choose fresh food over packaged food. Watch portion sizes and do not eat more than is necessary. Eat more dark leafy vegetables and stay away from excessive red meat as this has been known to cause heart diseases. Add moderate amounts of chocolate and wine to your diet.
2. Create family time for yourself. Spending time with your immediate family, those who love and care about you truly helps you to live a longer, more satisfied life.
3. Watch your weight and avoid obesity and cholesterol build up. Keeping your weight under control can help you live longer, and healthier, by helping you avoid the conditions that play havoc with your body. Keeping your weight down will lower your risk of diabetes, which in turn, can lead to high blood pressure, blindness, the loss of limbs, kidney failure and ultimately, death.
4. Get a pet dog to liven up your immediate environment. Pets help you to relax and help you to get outside of yourself. Owning a pet helps older persons living alone to keep focused, feel needed and gives them a sense of purpose.
5. Have you considered exercising? Regular effective exercise, at least 30 minutes a day as has been suggested, helps improve your mood by releasing the necessary “feel good” chemicals, endorphins. Exercise your mind also with adventure games and puzzles to keep your brain active.
6. Quit harmful habits like smoking and drinking. Nip that irritating habit in the bud before it carries out serious damage on your body. Stopping will hopefully give your cells time to repair themselves. Better yet, don’t even start. It never ends well.
7. Embrace positivity and be optimistic. People with positive and vibrant attitudes, are not only more pleasant to be around, but feel better. Always try to see the good in others and the good in trying times and situations. Good mood and attitude play a big role in how you feel. Overall, approach life in a relaxed manner. Laugh and don’t worry. You’ll feel better and may just live longer.