The minister of information and culture, Lai Mohammed, has said that the present administration on three events has proposed the exchange of the abducted girls for the arrested members of the Boko Haram terrorist group.
However, according to a report by Thisday, last August, the federal government made at least two attempts to rescue the kidnapped girls through a swap, but both attempts failed.
Speaking on Channels Television on Saturday, October 1, the minister said there would be no closure on Boko Haram terrorists until the 218 missing Chibok school girls are rescued.
He also denied claims that the federal government cared less about the missing girls.
“There shall be no closure on the Boko Haram issue until and when the Chibok girls are released and returned to the safety of their families,” Mohammed said.
The minister added that the current present administration are in line with the Bring Back Our Girls campaign group in ensuring that the girls are safely rescued.
He however, blamed the past administration for delaying on the most critical hours of the girls’ kidnap while stating that the Buhari-led administration is still open to negotiation with the terrorist group.
Just last week, Esther Yakubu, a mother to one of the abducted girls, Dorcas, said President Buhari is not fit to be president.
Madam Yakubu comparing Nigeria with other climes, said country deploy thousands to rescue one person but in the case of the missing 218 girls, the Nigerian government appears to be doing nothing to secure their release.
Meanwhile, Niger’s Defence ministry said on Friday, September 30, that a joint military operation between Chad and Niger has killed 123 Boko Haram militants since July and recovered a significant quantity of weapons.
Allied Chadian-Nigerien forces launched an offensive against the Islamists after a surprise attack in Niger killed 30 of the country’s troops in early June, its deadliest ever attack there.