On Saturday, March 5, Chairman of All Progressives Congress (APC) in Omoku, Mr Frankline Obi, his wife, Iheoma and their 18-year-old son were murdered by suspected gunmen.
Yesterday, Ofnjite Amachree was brutally beaten, hacked to death and burnt in Buguma Town, in Asari-Toru Local Government Area. Below is the statement issued today by the Rivers State Police Command:
PRESS BRIEFING BY CP. MUSA KIMO, THE RIVERS STATE COMMISSIONER POLICE AT THE POLICE STATE HEADQUARTERS, MOSCOW ROAD, PORT HARCOURT ON 08th FEBRUARY, 2016
Gentlemen of the Press.
It is on sad note I formally welcome you to this impromptu briefing to clarify some issues given the fact that some days ago there was a spike in violent crimes particularly wanton killings of innocent citizens.
2. You would recall that on Saturday 05/03/2015 at Omoku, one Frank Obi together with his wife and son were brutally murdered in their sleep. Similarly, on Monday 07/03/2016 at Buguma, one Ofinjite Amachree was also killed and his dead body set ablaze.
3. I’m deeply saddened by these tragic and senseless killings while my heart and sincere condolence goes to the bereaved families. We must realize that violence is never and will never be a solution to any problem(s).
4. While investigation is ongoing on the cases, let me at this juncture inform you that the Command will stop at nothing to bring to book the perpetrators of not only these recent killings but all similar incidents. Presently, we have in our custody one Anthony Ugoh, who was arrested in connection with the murder of Frank Obi and two other members of his family. We have also arrested one Ndubisi Tochi on the allegations of the killing of Ofinjite Amachree. Both suspects are now undergoing interrogations and are given us useful information that will ultimately lead to the arrest of their accomplices. We will at the appropriate time after we are done with our investigation parade the suspects before you.
5. Let me for the umpteenth time appeal for the continued and sustained support and cooperation of the members of the public by way of credible and timely information to enable us discharge our constitutional mandate of protection of life and property. Be assured that any information volunteered will forever remain confidential.
6. It is also pertinent to inform you that I have placed all officers and men of the Command on red alert purposely to allay the fears of the members of the public and of course to promptly nip in the bud any security breach.
Peace loving members of the public are hereby enjoined to go about their lawful business without any fear of molestation, please.